Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Weeds

The light was perfect the other day for capturing the lovely blue colour of the wild chicory.
 A pretty display, but watch out for the poison ivy at the front and the yellow wild parsnip, both of which can give nasty rashes. The white Queen Anne's lace is harmless.
 Elecampane.  I really like the giant leaves.  This plant is almost 5' high.  That's a specimen plant.  I'm wondering if I should try to collect seed and plant one at home.
The yellow elecampane flowers are like yellow asters or yellow daisies.  Understated compared with the rest of the plant.
I'm not sure what this is.  It looks  like stinging nettles, but the flowers are purple instead of whitish green , and it doesn't seem to have any prickles.
 Pale mauve button thistles, or at least that's what I call them.
Bright yellow sow-thistle flower.  Such a rich yellow.
 Not sure what these leaves are, but I like the red ribs and vase shape.
Milkweed.  They always smell lovely.  No sign of monarch caterpillars.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty wildflowers! I wish the chicory bloomed all day, not just in the morning. It really is a pretty blossom.

    ReplyDelete