Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Jardin Botanique-Montreal

 We had an enjoyable visit to the Jardin Botanique in Montreal last week. I hadn't been in a few years and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the gardens as I had, on other occasions, felt that a number of the plantings were pretty ho-hum.  We didn't see all the gardens this time as I was still having foot trouble, but we saw most of them.


 A corner of the perennial garden had blooming Hens and Chicks (sempervivum). This spot was a little weedy as were some other parts of the perennial beds, but I guess that's budget cuts. But Hens and Chicks in bloom always look fun.

 This was the perennial area but the annual bed assured a good jolt of colour all summer long with its planting of celosia, zinnia, salvia, and heliotrope.


 Nice patch of pink phlox.

 Heuchera can be difficult to place so that their blooms are shown to advantage.  I like the contrast here with the tiny white flowers and bright green leaves.


 A beautiful specimen of Bear's Breetches (Acanthus Mollis).  I was surprised to see it as I thought it wasn't hardy in Montreal.  I checked on the Internet and it's only hardy to zone 7 so I guess it will have to go in the greenhouse for the winter.  In warmer climes, it is considered invasive.


Mulleins are quite remarkable in their sturdiness.  These ones are about 7' tall but shows no signs of flopping at all.  Very sculptural.

2 comments:

  1. I dream of visiting these gardens! Lucky you! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! I enjoyed my 'visit' to Montreal.

    ReplyDelete